Carlos Alcaraz Ready to Battle Non-Professionals in Seven-Figure Winner-Takes-All Event

Grand Slam Champion Carlos Alcaraz
Carlos Alcaraz has become a multiple Grand Slam champion

Recreational competitors are getting the chance to win A$1m when they compete against elite players - headed by top-ranked the Spanish champion - in a single-point showdown before January's Australian Open

Event planners of the Melbourne major have unveiled the Million Dollar One Point Slam, which will pit everyday competitors against 22 professionals in a elimination competition at Melbourne Park

How the Tournament Functions

Competitors are set to play 'rock, paper, scissors' to decide who gets to serve or return, and whoever wins the point will advance to the next round

The winner of the event will take home a significant cash prize

By comparison, players who reached the semi-finals of the primary tournaments in the previous year's tournament won A$1.1m

Past Related Competitions

The American Grand Slam staged a revamped, separate combined gender tournament in late summer which encouraged top singles players to compete, with the champions receiving $1m

The Australian Open held its first-ever One Point Slam earlier this year, but the prize fund was a smaller amount and it had limited exposure

The Russian player was the single high-ranked athlete competing, and his run came to an end when he sent the single service opportunity allowed failing to clear the net in his quarter-final

Event Specifics

Organizers have not specified precisely how the event will work, but it is anticipated to emulate a akin setup to this year's edition

The elite players will be granted to serve once and the non-professionals two times - as is the norm in standard play

While it is not certain how the draw will work, there will be multiple elimination stages and the venue will be the Rod Laver Arena rather than the alternative court

The final stages will take place in a night session instead of 1pm local time

Entry Details

Any Australians - or international players who have signed up with the governing body - can participate in 'single-point competition' tournaments at their neighborhood facilities

The champions of the grassroots tournaments will then go into a draw, with a single non-professional from every region and area chosen to participate in the 'grand finale' in a evening match on Wednesday, 14 January

There will also be a entry tournament in the final month which everyday players, lower ranked pros, well-known figures and sport stars can compete in

It begins on early January and the pair of champions will qualify for the following day's 'championship match' with the additional everyday players and 10 professionals

"Regardless of your skill level, the final champion will claim the award. Applications will start imminently at facilities across the country"

Event organizers said there were "further celebrities to be announced soon", while the tournament site said "famous personalities" would be taking part

Joshua Nunez
Joshua Nunez

A journalist and tech enthusiast with a background in international relations, focusing on digital transformation and societal impacts.